North Bay Fire & Emergency Services – Oct. 27, 2020 - With a chill in the air, North Bay Fire & Emergency Services reminds every one of the importance of fire safety before they turn up the furnace, light the fireplace or plug in the space heater. “We often see more home fires this time of year due to heating equipment and appliances,” said Fire Chief Jason Whiteley. “People need to pay close attention to potential fire hazards such as fireplaces, furnaces, chimneys and vents, and space heaters.” As well, heating systems are the leading cause of unintentional deaths and injuries due to carbon monoxide poisoning.
Here are some simple things you can do to stay fire safe during the colder months:
North Bay Fire & Emergency Services reminds everyone that the Ontario Fire Code requires smoke alarms to be installed on every storey of your home and outside all sleeping areas. Carbon monoxide alarms are required outside all sleeping areas if the home has a fuel-burning appliance, a fireplace or an attached garage. For more information about smoke and carbon monoxide alarms, or fire safety go to: