Skip Navigation

Sign Permits & Variances

If you run a business, corporation, or institution you will probably want to advertise and/or identify your business with a sign or signs. It is recommended that you review  Sign By-law to determine if the sign you want to display requires a permit.

All documents and information needed to apply for a sign permit can be obtained below or by visiting the 2nd floor of City Hall.

Each application shall be accompanied by:

  • application fee
  • a plan to scale which indicates:
    • dimensions of the proposed sign, including the proposed height above grade
    • the location on the site including setbacks from property lines
    • the type of materials involved in the construction, lighting and support of the proposed sign.

Applying for a variance to the Sign By-law:


All signs to be displayed in the City, whether on private or public property, require a sign permit from the Planning Department. The following exceptions are allowed and may be subject to limitations:

  • Interior Signs
  • A change in the message displayed on the sign or advertising device.
  • A temporary non-illuminated real estate sign.
  • A sign required to be erected and displayed by law.
  • A temporary non-illuminated sign related to candidacy for a federal, provincial or municipal election.
  • A non-illuminated directional sign.
  • Non-illuminated identification sign.
  • Signs used by places of worship, schools or civic organizations.
  • A plaque identifying a building or structure and its architectural or historical significance.
  • Temporary Construction Signs

Downtown North Bay

An information brochure has been developed to assist with the Sign Permit requirements in the Downtown Improvement Area (DIA).

Elizabeth Courville
Zoning Administrator (705) 474-0400 x.2401
Jason Bennett
Administrative Assistant (705) 474-0400 x.2414